NUMBERS ARE PEOPLE COCK-UP BEFORE CONSPIRACY • CITE PRIMARY SOURCES OR GO HOME


Friday 25 December 2009

I CAN HAZ JOB? KTHNX.

It's true, the Greek government doesn't know how many civil servants there are in Greece. We are supposed to have ca. 550,000 civil servants earning an average EUR 2,725 per month. Now, based on my trusty EU KLEMS data, I think it's almost twice that much if we count all of the employees in education, health and other community and social services, as the total had already reached 1,024,000 by 2007. Total payroll for these sectors was EUR 30bn in the same year. That worked out to EUR 2,100 per month (assuming 14 wages).

Of course not all of the employment in these sectors is linked to the public sector (whether directly or indirectly), but I suspect my total is closer to the truth than the government's.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that I am not notified of any comments and will not respond via comments.

Try to keep your criticism constructive and if you don't like something, do tell me how to fix it. If I use any of your suggestions, you will be duly credited.

Although I'm happy to entertain criticism of myself in the comments section, I will not tolerate hate speech. You will be given a written warning and after that I will delete further offending comments.

I will also delete any comments that are clearly randomly generated by third parties for their own promotion.

Occasionally, your comments may land in the spam box, which may cause them to appear with a slight delay as I have to approve them myself.

Thanks in advance for your kind words... and your trolling, if you are so inclined.