NUMBERS ARE PEOPLE COCK-UP BEFORE CONSPIRACY • CITE PRIMARY SOURCES OR GO HOME


Monday 28 December 2009

GROWTH SECTOR EPIC FAIL

Never be it said that our European partners and their bankers are always out to get us. Today, the FT cites a tongue-in-cheek discussion  of how our enormous informal economy is the secret growth sector keeping Greece afloat. The originators are none other than Deutsche Bank, in this note.

So how big is the Greek shadow economy? It's 25% of GDP, according to this methodology if I'm not mistaken. It still sounds optimistic to be honest, but that means the shadow economy will grow by a respectable 1.8% this year, against a 1% drop in official GDP.

Which brings to mind the illustrious campaign to end music piracy in Greece:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please remember that I am not notified of any comments and will not respond via comments.

Try to keep your criticism constructive and if you don't like something, do tell me how to fix it. If I use any of your suggestions, you will be duly credited.

Although I'm happy to entertain criticism of myself in the comments section, I will not tolerate hate speech. You will be given a written warning and after that I will delete further offending comments.

I will also delete any comments that are clearly randomly generated by third parties for their own promotion.

Occasionally, your comments may land in the spam box, which may cause them to appear with a slight delay as I have to approve them myself.

Thanks in advance for your kind words... and your trolling, if you are so inclined.